In 1996, The World Confederation for Physical Therapy (WCPT) designated September 8 as World Physical Therapy Day. Since then, PTs all over the globe have joined together annually on this special day to celebrate and support the physical therapy industry as a whole. Every year, the WCPT selects a theme that highlights the power PTs have to transform their communities and the world. For 2016, the theme is “add life to years.” It’s meant to encourage PTs to share and promote the many ways they can improve the quality of life for the aging population while simultaneously reducing healthcare costs. Looking for ideas on how to participate in this celebration? Here’s how you can get involved:
Establish Yourself as an Expert
If you’re planning to celebrate World PT Day with your colleagues—or even on your own—don’t forget to use it as an opportunity to showcase your musculoskeletal expertise. Your specialized skills and knowledge as a therapist are especially beneficial to the aging population, as you can:
- help individuals remain independent and improve their quality life while reducing overall healthcare costs.
- treat and prevent non-communicable diseases (NCD) that often compromise independence and quality of life in the older population.
- create exercise programs that the aging population can perform on their own or with assistance to help reduce pain and improve mobility.
Connect With Your Community
It might be too late to organize a community event, but you can still drum up interest among your friends, neighbors, and peers. The WCPT has made it easy for PTs to share information about physical therapy by providing a toolkit that includes:
- A leaflet to print and distribute directly to patients and the public.
- Engaging—and shareable—resources like posters, postcards, and infographics.
- Logos and resources to help you demonstrate your value.
- Social media graphics and a ribbon you can place on your Twitter and Facebook profile pictures to show your support for the cause.
To get all this and more, check out the WCPT website.
Share on Social Media
Speaking of social media, don’t forget to post about World PT Day on both your personal and professional pages. To get social:
- Follow and like WCPT on Facebook and Twitter.
- Retweet and share their posts—or craft your own unique messages. You can also share the awesome GIF we posted on WebPT’s Facebook and Twitter accounts.
- Use the hashtags #WorldPTDay and #addlifetoyears.
- Add the aforementioned World Physical Therapy Twibbon to your Facebook and Twitter profile pictures.
We can’t wait to see how everyone celebrates and promotes the profession we love so much. Happy World PT Day 2016!