Speech-language pathologists and speech therapists help people better connect with their friends, family, and peers every single day. Verbal communication is one of the main building blocks of human relationships, and it’s something most of us take for granted. So, if an SLP has touched your life in some way this year, now’s the time to show him or her just how much you appreciate it. But, finding a thoughtful, personal gift can be a time-consuming endeavor, and who wants to spend hours scrolling through endless pages of SLP shirt results when they could be snacking on cookies and eggnog?
Luckily, we’ve already done all of that scrolling for you. Below, you’ll find a list of our favorite SLP gift ideas, organized by category. Consider it our holiday gift to you. Cheers!
Baubles and Bling
Is the SLP on your list an accessory aficionado? If so, then this is definitely the section for you. Any of these shiny doodads would be the perfect complement to any ensemble—formal or casual.
- Bangle bracelets are fun and funky, so if those words describe the SLP in your life, then she’ll love this charming option.
- Not that SLPs need any help in the inspiration department, but this message-focused necklace would make a fantastic wearable keepsake.
- Okay, so you can’t actually give the gift of time, but this super-cool watch will help any busy SLP stay on schedule in style.
- Lots of SLPs have to wear the same boring ID card to work every day, but this bejeweled badge holder will add some sparkle to their daily ensembles. (Hurry, there are only two left!)
- While your favorite SLP won’t actually be able to wear this gift, he or she can certainly use it to accessorize the tree: check out this handmade bread dough speech therapist ornament. (You can customize her hair color and add a name and/or a year.)
Flair You Can Wear
While SLPs specialize in the spoken word, the written messages scrawled on these items of clothing have special meaning to this special group of people. Plus, some of them are downright hilarious—and who doesn’t love a jolly good laugh this time of year?
- Know an SLP with a funny bone? This comical cartoon shirt is sure to elicit a chuckle or two. (You can also find it in a women’s long sleeve here and as a onesie here.)
- Ahoy, matey! Whether your humor-loving SLP prefers land or sea, this pirate-themed shirt is a great gift option.
- If your favorite SLP just had a baby, consider sending this speech-therapy themed baby bodysuit or this bib.
- Most SLPs could write pronunciation keys in their sleep, and this T-shirt takes that unique skill and turns it into a clever way for speech therapists to show everyone just how much they love their profession. To browse a whole page of smile-worthy speech-themed swag, click here (seriously, there are so many good SLP gifts here).
- This SLP-themed shirt from 3E Love is one of our all-time faves, and with good reason. Click here to check out the inspirational story behind the brand.
- As this custom appliqued tee suggests, that annoyingly catchy Bonnie Raitt tune could totally be the theme song for speech-language pathology.
The Art of Therapy
Creating a speech therapy program is a lot like creating art: it requires great passion, vision, and patience. These pieces embody the fusion of the visual and auditory senses, making them well-suited additions to any SLP clinic, office, or waiting room.
- Architectural letter photography is a growing artistic trend, and this sleek photo collage—and this one—show why this style is so popular.
- Give your favorite SLP a poster as bright as his or her personality with this colorful piece of pop art.
- This poster is perfect for any speech-language pathologist who loves his or her job—and I think it’s safe to assume that includes pretty much all of them.
- Don’t know your SLP’s favorite color? No worries. This unique, sound-wave generated piece incorporates the whole rainbow. And this one is in black and white.
- Throw a gallery frame around this anatomy art, and you’ll have a conversation (pun intended) piece that any SLP will appreciate.
Fun and Functional
Many people write off practical gifts as a holiday no-no, but we know we’re not the only ones who would rather receive any of the items below in place of the ubiquitous holiday fruitcake.
- It might not be feasible to give your SLP a beach vacation, but you can definitely give him or her this groovy beach towel.
- Decorative pillows get a bad rap, but this cute cube o’ cush would add a nice touch to any SLP’s home or office.
- If you know an SLP who appreciates a little snark in the morning, this clever coffee mug might be just the gift you’re looking for. If your SLP is more of a hot cocoa person, check out this chocolate-themed cup.
- This adorable tote bag would make a great gift on its own, but if you really want to spread some holiday cheer to your favorite SLP, you could fill it with festive baked goodies.
- Know an SLP who appreciates a nice, cold after-work beverage? Then, he or she might like this vintage-logoed pint glass.
- These fun magnets display the American Sign Language alphabet on bottle caps, making them perfect for any SLP to use on a fridge at home or in the clinic break room.
- This speech therapy-themed wall clock would look fabulous in any clinic—or classroom. After all, isn’t it always time for speech somewhere?
- Gift this sweet tote bag for the SLP in your life who is no longer practicing but hasn’t lost one bit of love for the profession.
- If your favorite speech therapist has a sweet tooth, then consider sending some adorable SLP-themed cookies on a stick. Who doesn’t love chocolate and sprinkles?
- We wouldn’t want to leave out the partner of an SLP—we know he or she is important, too. So, here’s a “My ♡ Belongs to a Speech Therapist” decal that’s perfect for that other half.
Words of Appreciation
Sometimes, the best gifts are the ones written from the heart.
- Looking to express your appreciation in writing this year? Check out these pronunciation key greeting cards, sure to give your SLP all the feels.
There you go: our top SLP gift picks for 2018. Now that you can check one more person off of your shopping list, you’ll have more time to start addressing all those family holiday cards. Have a gift suggestion that isn’t included here? Leave a comment below to share it with the world.