While most of us consider the holidays to be the season of giving, occupational therapists embody the giving spirit year-round—tirelessly dedicating themselves to helping people lead happier, more fulfilling lives. It’s not always an easy job, but OTs take it on with gusto, because they truly care about their patients’ health and wellbeing. And if you’ve got an OT on your holiday shopping list, now’s the time to show him or her just how much you appreciate that care—with a therapist gift. To help you do just that, we’ve combed through pages upon pages of occupational therapy items and put together a list of our favorites, organized by category. So grab a cup of hot chocolate, some cozy slippers, and an approved form of online payment—and get ready to shop ’til you ship!
Baubles and Bling
Know an OT who loves all that glitters and glistens? Well, cue the “oohs” and “ahs,” because these sparkly doodads are bound to delight.
- You can customize this bracelet with the wearer’s initial—and, of course, an OT charm or two.
- This hand-print adorned necklace features a mantra that rings true for any OT: Empower, Achieve, Inspire.
- Occupational therapy is a hands-on profession, which means many OTs take their rings off now and then. So, give them a piece of jewelry that’s pretty and practical: this sterling silver necklace that doubles as a ring holder.
- Lucky or not, charms are in—so if you’re buying for a fashion-forward OT, be sure to check out this customizable creation. If bracelets are more her style, take a look at this charming bangle (pun intended).
- Many OTs have to wear the same boring ID card every day, but with this personalized ID holder, they can add some pizazz to those badges.
Flair You Can Wear
OTs help people live life to the fullest; and this sweet therapy swag will help those therapists show how much they love what they do.
- Aromatherapy, sharomatherapy. This shirt reminds everyone that there’s no need for soothing eucalyptus candles when there’s an OT in the room. (You can even get it as a sweatshirt or a polo.)
- Here’s a shirt that celebrates OTs for what they truly are: superheroes.
- This ball cap shows why OTs don’t really need day planners.
- ’Tis the season for layers, so help your favorite OT stay nice and toasty with this super soft hoodie. You could even get one for yourself, too—to show your love for the profession.
- If your favorite OT already has a warm sweatshirt, snag him or her this cozy pair of OT-themed black-and-white sweatpants.
- This OT-themed shirt from 3E Love is one of our all-time faves, and with good reason. Click here to check out the inspirational story behind the brand.
The Art of Therapy
Like a great artist, a great occupational therapist must possess vision, passion, and creativity. On that note, here are some OT-inspired works that are perfect for adding a bit of color to any clinic, office, or waiting room.
- Bright colors and a funky disco-esque design make this pop art poster truly pop.
- This poster is perfect for any occupational therapist who loves his or her job—and I think it’s safe to assume that includes pretty much every OT.
- If the OT on your list specializes in hand therapy, I’m betting he or she would love to hang this Gray’s Anatomy Hand print. Act quickly, though; there’s only one left. Or, you could go with this vintage arm print made with real gold foil. You can even choose the background color.
- Your OT is already a star in your book, but with this personalized cartoon drawing, you can make your therapist the main character in his or her very own comic.
- Looking for something more dimensional? Gift this occupational therapy miniature box. It’ll surely be an office conversation starter.
Fun and Functional
Some people consider practical gifts to be a holiday faux pas, and while we’re certainly not suggesting that you tie a ribbon around an economy pack of toilet paper, we think that in many cases, a useful present is a very thoughtful—and completely acceptable—gift option. The items listed here show why:
- These decorative fridge magnets would be great for displaying all of those festive holiday cards.
- If your favorite OT has a sweet tooth, consider sending some occupational therapy-themed cake pops. Who doesn’t like frosting—or chocolate?
- If your favorite OT is a new mother, send along this OT-themed onesie that reads, “My mommy’s an OT. What’s your mommy’s super power?” It’s available in pink and blue.
- If coffee is your OT’s morning fuel of choice, check out this chuckle-worthy mug.
- If he or she is more of a water person, this OT-themed stainless steel water bottle is the way to go.
- Continuing with the beverage theme, here’s a gift for an OT who likes to unwind from a long day of improving function with a nice glass of vino. And here’s one for those who prefer malts and barley over grapes.
- With all these beverage cups lying around, your OT is bound to need to some coasters to keep his or her furniture stain-free—and we have just the set: these tile coasters.
- For an OT who’s lucky enough to squeeze in some vacay time at the beach—or even the pool—this colorful towel would make an excellent gift.
- If you and your favorite OT have a dark sense of humor, you both may get a kick out of this novelty jar labeled “Ashes of Problem Clients.” Think of it as a little extra motivation for patients to comply with their home exercise programs.
- We humans aren’t the only ones who love occupational therapy; apparently dinosaurs do, too. For the dino-loving OT in your life, snag this T-rex loves occupational therapy tote bag. It’ll surely be a hit.
Words of Appreciation
Sometimes the best gifts are the ones written from the heart.
- Not feeling in the tangible gift-giving spirit this year? That’s okay. Consider putting your appreciation for your OT in writing in this OT-themed card (yes, T-rex also loves his OT on a greeting card).
There you have it: our list of the top gifts for OTs in 2018. Now that you can cross one more person off of your shopping list, you can really focus on outdoing your next-door neighbor’s holiday light display. Got a gift suggestion that isn’t included here? Leave a comment below and share it with the world.